October 16, 2019
This is भाग दो of our series on influencers collaborating. If you’ve directly landed on this page, please do give this post a skim. Else you’ll be slightly lost.
You, a small fish in the massive ocean of online influencers, have taken the first three steps to striking a collaboration with another content creator.
How To Effectively Collaborate With Other Influencers?
You’ve reached out to them and let’s say the influencer agrees to a partnership. Great! It takes you to step four.
Step 4 Is Collab
We jumped the gun here, a bit. Let’s back-up. The part right after influencer outreach is yay or nay.
What happens if the collaborator ignores you?
Or, worse yet, rejects your pitch.
You try and then try again – with the same influencer and with others. If possible, ask the content creator why they refused the collaboration and listen to the feedback. Use those points to make a better pitch.
Tips to a better outreach strategy
An influencer with even a modest online following can collab with so-called ‘big fish.’
The condition? You’ve got to have a kick-ass pitch.
How do you make one? With these tricks:
- Don’t toot your own horn. The influencer is not interested in knowing how great you are or what a wonderful opportunity it is. They want to know what the relationship will bring to their table. Focus on that.
- Ask a meaningful question. Most influencers love to support newbies and reaching out for help is an excellent way to pave the path to collaboration.
- Share your thoughts on content they have created. Talk about how a post resonated with you and made you feel that a partnership would work.
Key: When you know the creator, when you are aware of their habits and when you engage with their content; your pitch is more likely to be accepted.
What happens if the collaborator accepts the collaboration?
You tell them what you want from the collab, everything between the number of stories to the number of posts. Then, let the influencer give you their input. Don’t ignore the ideas and advice. Trust them.
They are the ones who’ve been engaging with their audience day in and day out. They know their followers much, much better than you. Isn’t that what made them influencers in the first place? The knack of addressing people effectively is an art, so:
- Throw the collaborating influencer some rope.
- Let them express creativity in their way.
- Treat them as partners, not your underlings.
Key: When you let content creators be themselves, they are more likely to promote you with credibility.
Step 5 Is Originality
Giving a shout out to a fellow influencer. Creating a tutorial together. Or asking them to be a guest on your content. These are tried and tested ways. While they dont fail, try to be more original.
Collaboration is about capturing the interest of potential followers. The sure-fire method is taking a step away from the norm.
- You: A clothing and lifestyle influencer
Fellow content creator: A photographer
Collaboration: Creative images of you modelling clothes shot by the photographer.
Key: Yes, the rule of thumb is to work within your niche, but sometimes it is stepping outside your industry that gives the best results.
We good? Moving right along…
A Real-Life Example Of Influencers Collaborating
Situations that go FUBAR teach more than those which finish with nary a glitch. It is why we’re picking up a recent example of a collaboration that turned into a disaster to conclude our two-part series.
The Curious Case Of StalkBuyLove And Content Creators
Roshni Bhatia of thechiquefactor fame called out SBL for collaborating with her but not forking over the remuneration. Then Komal Pandey chimed in that she hadn’t been compensated for her collab, too.
To add fuel to the fire, Shikha Ahluwalia took to Instagram to throw some serious shade on the two influencers.
Learning from failure
We picked up the example not to rehash the sorry and messy scenario, but to help you learn from a failed collaboration.
- Honour the agreement set before the collaboration.
- Maintain your sense of responsibility, i.e., complete the goals set for the collab.
- Don’t air your dirty laundry in public.
- Relationship between influencers are deeper than traditional collaboration, but don’t make it personal.
- Even when your partnership goes sideways, keep it professional.